Photography for Sale

redmuddyboots.com

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Stella's

Restaurant Review:

Inspiration for my Beastly Salmon was from Stella's Fish Cafe & Prestige Oyster Bar, in Minneapolis, MN.  A group of five of us gathered there last month to celebrate our friend, Tracey's, graduation from the Aveda Institute.  It was 90 plus degrees that day, but we were diligent and opted to sit on their spectacular rooftop dining area, and a great view of the Minneapolis skyline was had.  Looking down at the Uptown sidewalk gawkers is a hoot!  Glasses of Pinot Grigio were served by our very own Tom Cruise look-alike (and he knew it).  Intimate attention was given to each of us as he gazed into our eyes and drew us near (I'm not kidding you) and told each of us what we were ordering that night.

The appetizer of the evening was the Coconut Shrimp, which had a spicy pineapple coconut marmalade, a piquant beginning!  One gal allowed Romeo to order her oysters on the half shell-which she claimed was the best she'd ever had.  I tried my first oyster that evening, it was like tasting a bit of the Atlantic.  Tom ordered the salmon for me, and it was definitely memorable as the mango salsa entwined with the pecan crusted coating.  The freshness of the fish drifted me off to Martha's Vineyard at the Black Cat.  There, I had the lobster.  Overpriced for what we got, and Tom slipped in a few drinks we never had, but a warm memory with good friends was created anyhow.  I'll return for Happy Hour.



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing beats a restaurant with a great view, even if the food is only so-so!

Barb said...

Love your blog!! You are so cleaver, girl!! Love Salmon as well, but I am allergic to peppers, so may have to wait for your next recipe and give that a whirl! I have a new kitchen - remodeled n lovin it, so the gas cooktop will be waiting!!

Mel said...

Thank you Barb, I'm having fun! You can always leave the peppers out - they're just to give it a bit of a zing! It's the subtle sweetness of the mango mingling with the meatiness of the salmon that makes it like dessert in my mouth! Send me pics on your kitchen remodel...and a favorite recipe, and I'll do a post on you!
Ciao!

Lori said...

I can tell you're having fun with this! Thanks for making me smile (and making laugh) with one of my favorite things... FOOD! I'll be making the Beastly Salmon and look forward to running laps around the table!

Lori said...

BTW... Have you ever grilled fish on a cedar plank?
Have you ever done anything on a cedar plank?

Mel said...

Funny you should ask Lori, because I was just holding a cedar plank in my hand yesterday...contemplating! It infuses the food (meat) with delicious smokey flavors I'm told. Prepare plank first by soaking and treating with vegetable oil. I will explore sometime and let you know what I think. In the meantime, if you experiment with the plank, let me know what you think! Cheers!