Inspired by Filipo's Italian Restaurant, reviewed below, and the musings of Italian men, I have created a Chicken Cacciatore that will bring any worth-while man to his knees - begging you to stop before he cries out, "Mangia!"
3- to 3 1/2-lbs of your favorite chicken parts (thighs are my favorite)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper
- 2 medium onions
- 1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, or canned.
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or 1/4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Grated Parmesan cheese, if desired
- Coat chicken with flour, heat oil over med-high heat, cook chicken 20 min to brown. Drain.
- Stir chopped bell pepper and onions, and remaining ingredients except cheese into skillet with chicken.
- Heat to boiling, reduce heat, cover and simmer 40 min. or until thickest part of chicken is no longer pink. Serve with cheese.
Easy: Place all ingredients in crock pot and cook on low for 6 - 8 hrs., or on high for 4 hrs.
Wine Pairing: Pinot Grigio, Merlot.