Guest Chef: Darwin D. Martin
My father, being diabetic, does not partake in his own baking - yet continues to wow his children with his decadent desserts. His torte is our favorite at Christmas time, all six of us agree. You break through the crunchy topping, glide into the creamy whipped topping, skid into the smooth pudding, and enter the delectable cake, only to do it over again - after all, it's a torte, it has layers and layers of angel goodness. Have coffee on hand, Enjoy!
- One pkg. chocolate fudge cake mix
- 2- 6oz. pkg. instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1/2 cup strong coffee
- 6 Heath candy bars, crush like the hulk
- 1- 12oz carton whipped topping, thawed
- Prepare cake; cool. Prepare pudding; set aside.
- Grab a 5 quart trifle dish, or a decorative glass bowl.
- Crumble cake, reserving 1/2 cup.
- Place 1/2 of the remaining cake crumbs in the bowl
- Layer with half of the coffee, half of the pudding, half of the whipped topping, and half of the crushed candy bars
- Repeat the layers again.
- Combine the remaining crushed candy bars with the reserved cake crumbs; sprinkle over top.
- Refrigerate 4 hrs. before serving. Serves 10.
Good, strong, heady, coffee.
Variety is Good:
- Drizzle with Kahlua instead of coffee
- Use a yellow cake instead, drizzle with sherry, use a vanilla pudding
- Use mousse instead of pudding
- brownies instead of cake (I find this too rich)
As for my dad, he makes his cake from scratch, cooked pudding, as well as homemade whipped creme.
Maybe that's his secret. :)