Photography for Sale

redmuddyboots.com

Monday, December 12, 2011

Toot's Meatballs

Two days ago my Aunt Toots passed away.  I couldn't tell you what her real name was, for me it would be Aunt Toots regardless.  I was always tickled that she lived on Lapidary Lane, in Falling Creek Village.  It was so "fairytale-ish", and so were her meatballs.  I've had many meatballs in my life - most were either smothered in barbecue sauce or some grape jelly concoction.  Not only were Aunt Toot's meatballs delicious without a sauce (the oatmeal makes all the difference), but the tartness of the jellied-cranberries along with the tanginess of the chili sauce, coupled with a smidgen of brown sugar sealed them as hers.  I've made them for over 25 Christmas's - in fact, the recipe card I have it on is written in my former husband's hand writing.  That was 25 years ago! 




Ingredients:

2 lbs beef
1/4 cup water
1 small finely chopped onion
2 eggs
1 cup oatmeal (ran through a food processor until powdery)
1 1/2 tsp salt

16 oz can jellied cranberry
12 oz bottle Heinz chili sauce
2 Tbsp. brown sugar                                                                                          


Preparation:

Combine first 6 ingredients and roll into walnut-size balls
Place on a tin-foiled covered cookie sheet
Bake at 350 for 20 min-1/2 hr, or until done

Stir remaining 3 ingredients into a crock pot and heat until melted
Place the meatballs in crock pot with sauce and simmer together.


If you choose to make these, please call them Toot's meatballs.  I think she would like that.  And so would I.
















Say hi to Uncle Art for me.

No comments: